Our founder Nigel Lewis, is the also the founder of the Wrexham Savers Card and Chaired The Town Centre Forum for three year up to October 2017, and is still a member of the Town Centre Forum Steering Group.
This is a group comprising volunteers, businesses, council members and officer who meet once a month to work on a town centre action plan.
I have actively campaigned for and been successful in :-
Lower parking charges in the town
Supporting the Peoples Market traders during the refurbishment of the market and Arts Hub
Putting on more events in the town centre
Developing a Town Centre Action Plan.
I believe the keys to the success of the regeneration of the town is to create a community based town where everyone feels welcome.
This means :-
- Many stakeholders sharing a vision for the town centre and working together
- Treating our shoppers with respect and not fining them unnecessarily for environmental issues.
- Getting the town centre clean and tidy including working with landlords of unity premises to get them decorated.
- Marketing all the great things we have in the town to local people and visitors – hence the creation of this website.
- Regeneration of key areas such as Henblas Street, Queens Square and Lord Street – so they get a real vibe
- Supporting the new peoples market / arts hub now known and Ty Pawb
- Bringing back to life long term vacant properties such as the old Burtons, Boots and Clintons Cards on Hope and Regent Street.
- Working with various agencies to try and improve the substance and homeless issues in the town.
- Actively marketing Wrexham to national chains, franchises and independents that do not have a presence in the town
- Increasing the quality restaurant offering in the town.
I was pleased to receive this award nomination.